Sunday 26 January 2014

Back in Southsea Marina

Time for an update as I have been working away on Rebel Runner. I'll start with the good news. The mast is coming along nicely, just waiting for a top coat and then I'll show pictures. I have had a re-think about seating, and I have ordered a KAB helm seat and operators seat, to be covered in the same blue vinyl as the rest of the seating. I will have to cut down one of Garry's seat boxes but it will look good. After a couple of very wet Sundays working inside the boat, we have a new door lock:



 The cooker has a teak fiddle to stop it going for a solo trip:



and the re-wiring is starting to show results. The Voltmeter, new fuel gauge, leg trim, GPSMap4008 and Garmin VHF are all hooked up. There is a lot of wiring going on behind that bulkhead! The Azimuth compass is installed but not wired in yet. The observant will note there are several switch panels that have gone - I bought a small sheet of 3mm white Acetal and stuck it over the holes and mounted the VHF on that. I will make up an information panel to go under it.

And now for the bad news. I was sitting munching a sandwich and noticed some brown water dripping out of the wheelhouse light fitting. After a bit of investigation, it appears that the steaming light mast mounting was leaking into the wood that was glassed in on the wheelhouse roof, that the headlining screws into. This has been happening for a while because it is spongy all along. I'll have to cut it out and bond on some new. The mast was going anyway. As this new wood will be behind the headlining, I am thinking of bonding on some ply strips, I'm wondering whether it in necessary to glass over it or bond on and paint over with two pack epoxy. On the plus side this means I can build in a cable route as the previous ones seem to have been glassed in. Here is the sad sight.



No comments:

Post a Comment