Friday 4 April 2014

Another reason why boat building takes longer than it should....

Not much time available for boat work this weekend so I have been sneaking an hour or two in the workshop for land-based jobs. This includes making up the false floor and locker components ready to fit. I had taken off some paper templates so I knew exact sizes, and the first job was to cut an intricate shape as the final infill for the main cabin floor. This was only about 400mm x 70mm.

After careful tracing, marking, cutting, sanding it looked good. I carefully put it aside ready for the next trip to the boat. Next day I started fitting the flooring to the false floor and hatch, and due to me being tight and trying to get as much as possible from a single sheet of flooring, this involved further careful measuring and cutting. All was looking good, I just needed to cut a single "plank" to finish ther floor base. I looked around for a suitable offcut and found what looked to be just right. You can see where this is going can't you?

After further measuring, cutting, sanding and fitting I had a full set of false floor components. Then I looked around for the other parts I had cut. Noooooooo!!!!! I had used that first tricky bit for the second tricky bit!!! Now I have to make that first part all over again. Lesson - mark up your components! Doh.

No comments:

Post a Comment