Sunday 23 March 2014

More progress

Another full-on day with some progress to report. The wiring is very nearly done, I connected up the ammeter shunt and routed the trim position sender wire to the stern. That sounds very simple but it involved a lot of panels being removed, threading cables, bending, grunting and cussing. I tidied the rat's nest of the console wires with a large handful of cable ties but looking at the photo now, it still looks like a jungle.



I finished the wiring under the galley with a switched relay ready for the fridge. This is where the shunt is, and this is all wired in. The box I bought from Maplins isn't big enough so I'll have to get another. Scott of One Degree West has installed the battery switches, split charge diode and re-routed the alternator wiring to suit.


I then installed the flexible water tank which will lie under the fridge and locker floor. However, while wriggling the connector into a hole for it in the tank wall the hole ripped. I tried a heat weld with a soldering iron and a generous dose of Sikaflex and hope that works. If not, I won't be buying another flexible tank, fitting the connectors is a bit dodgy.

The fridge will need fresh air so a vent hole was cut out and a vent cover installed.



 Last but one job was to fit the trim limit switch and two 12v power sockets. The other side of the bulkhead is packed with electrics so I couldn't mount them next to the wheel which was the obvious place. However, there were two holes on the old dash where switches had been, and the two sockets just covered the holes. One is 12v power, the other is twin USB sockets for an iPhone or iPad. The trim limit switch is tucked into the side of the raised dash, I'll have to make sure engineers know where it is because it isn't obvious.




Finally, the moment I had been looking forward to - trial fitting the wheelhouse floor panels. These are cut from a large sheet, teak and holly effect but laminate faced for strength. The challenge is cutting as many panels as I need from that sheet, it is a bit tight hence the paper templates! One panel fitted fine, the other needed some surgery but an angle grinder with a flap wheel attachment made short work of it. The floor looks really good, it will look even better with a suspension pedestal and the KAB seat on it.





No comments:

Post a Comment