Monday 3 March 2014

Why Sellotape is important in boat-building

I stole a couple of hours in the boat on Friday night. Scott's lads have fitted a snazzy bank of battery switches so I have two independant controls and a switchover, plus a shunt for the ammeter. Next job was to fit the light in the head, which covers most of the wiring feed to the bunk light on the other side of the bulkhead. Neat! I had made a new marine network cable to try and make the old sonar talk to the plotter, and this time it did, so another gadget is working, great.

It contantly amazes me how long it takes to do not very much. If you subtract the time taken to decide what to do, select the tools you need, fit yourself into a confined space, un-fit yourself to go and get the tools you have carefully selected, look for the parts you could swear you put right there but they are not there, and so on, then actual time available to fit the thing you came to do is greatly reduced.

I had half an hour left so the final job was to make a brown paper template of the wheel-house floor so I could cut out the corresponding shape from a sheet of teak and holly decking laminate. I carefully marked and cut a template using several sheets of paper stuck together with tape, and it was all looking very positive. I rolled the template up and headed for home.

Next morning I enlisted help from my daughter to lay the flooring sheet out in the studio, and set down to mark out the shape of the floor from the template. I unrolled the template and....disaster. The frigging tape had come unstuck and I now had three pieces of paper, all perfectly cut, but no way of aligning them acurately so I could cut out the floor! And the boat is 22 miles away. So it will have to wait until next trip for the 90 second job of laying the papers back on the floor and sticking them together again only this time there will be some reference pencil marks, just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment