Tuesday 18 March 2014

The wiring is hidden at last

We had Paddy's Day celebrations this weekend so no boat work, but I made up for it today with nine and a half hours in the marina. As usual, not all of it productive but much of it was. First job was to complete any wiring at roof level and that included the wiper motors which have been a real puzzle. I cured the parking problem by fitting two relays, but running the power from a single supply was causing fuses to blow on high speed wiping. On Scott's advice I decided to run two independent systems from fuses to switches to motors and bingo, all was fine. This was a job I started on 4th August and finished on 18th March, fortunately not all tasks are taking that long.

Next job was to fit the bulkhead liner and berth light. All went in fine.

 
 
After a quick sandwich, it was time for the job I had been working towards all this time - fitting the roof lining. All the cables were routed down a large conduit, and I trial-fitted one side. It looked brilliant! I had to carefully measure where all the screws would go as they had to line up with a wooden pad. I was a bit concerned about having no mounting point in the centre so I decided to bond two pads of 12mm ply in the centre of the space. I only had one so I wandered about the marina looking for offcuts. Luckily, Andy Primmett (contact him for GRP repairs!!) was working there and found me a piece in his shed. Thank you Andy! The pads were quickly bonded on, then I had to go off and buy some extra long screws. Finally, all was ready. It all went up like a dream. I fitted four LED lights, with separate front and back switching.
 

 These lights have a neat trick - when you switch them on they have a single red LED for night vision, and by flicking the switch they come on full white.


 Final job was to remember to bring the paper template home!

No comments:

Post a Comment