Monday 3 February 2014

Expensive Lesson

Due to other commitments I couldn't get to Southsea this weekend so I did some indoors work instead. The plan was to cover the ceiling panels for the wheelhouse in bioprufe in ermine white which is a vinyl with a denser, cloth backing instead of foam. I had bought 2.5 metres a couple of months back, and therein lies the expensive lesson. I cleaned down the old roof panels, pulled off the original covering, filled holes and trimmed a bit off to allow for a nice teak strip to cover the join. I cut holes for the lights and was all set to spray glue and cover. Unfortunately, the roll of vinyl had rested in a wonky position and a small kink had developed. However much I pressed and smoothed, that kink showed on the otherwise flat vinyl. Lesson learned, buy vinyl only when you need it and keep it rolled perfectly! I ripped the vinyl off to save the ply panel, and today went off to get some more. So not much progress this weekend at all.

To cheer myself up I went to collect the third seat that had been made from matching vinyl. This will be fixed, and opposite the rotating crew seat. Mike Homer in Poole made a brilliant job of making it look part of the family, copying the stitched panels, so it will match the others when all are in position.



Here they are where I am measuring the height difference, as I will have to cut one seat box down 85mm to allow for the turntable and thicker seat, making both seat tops the same height either side of the table. Some time this week I'll be having another go at the ceiling vinyl, hopefully with a happier result. I discussed my ceiling problem with Mike as he is an expert at these things. He confirmed that once vinyl is out of shape you have had it, no amount of coaxing, heating or cooling will make it perfectly flat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment