Tuesday 11 February 2014

A satisfying little evening job

Not all the jobs on this project need to be large to be satisfying. I mentioned earlier I was planning to make a teak boss to mount behind the wheel position to hide a carve-up in the GRP. Here's what I did. I had a nice teak off-cut but it was too narrow and too thick. First job was to mark out and rough cut two semicircles.


It was too thick so I had to slice the half-disks vertically


I then made what my daughter calls a contraption but I prefer to call a very clever jig, to clamp the two halves together while they were glued.


This is what came out in the morning. "You'll see the join," says the wife. "You should have bought a proper piece of wood instead of being a cheapskate".
"Never" says I. "Wait and see."


Now for Contraption Number 2, so I can rotate the disk perfectly while I cut the circle more exactly...


 And then mount the router in an old drill stand and do a similar thing to true the edge and add a nice curve to the top face


 Then for some hand sanding to smooth it all off and its ready for varnishing. "OK, so where's the join then?" Smug face ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment