Thursday 5 June 2014

Fitting and Fishing

This Saturday promised to be sunny and settled. Time for a bit of fishing, although I had a few jobs to do first. The management decided she wanted a new Turtlemat doormat for the house. I sneaked an order in for a marine one at the same time. Wipe your feet!



I have long promised new decking in the cockpit, but it has taken a while to happen. I phoned the Permateek man who was supposed to be taking the template and found he was running behind, work-wise (what's new?). He kindly sent me a pack of templating material so I could mark up the deck area and move things along a bit. With Mike's instructions this was surprisingly easy, I guess it wouldn't have been if has been in any way wet or windy! The material was as see-through as tracing paper but strong, more like a man-made fabric. Hopefully the panels can now be made up and I'll have a go at fitting.



Next job was investigating why the fuel tank sender wasn't working. I measured up for a new one, as it is a sealed unit and there is nothing that can be repaired.

Another quick repair job, to replace the shore-power socket and then the marina traffic lights went green and we could go to sea. I headed out after that, hoping for bream. Rebel Runner cruised easily at 20 knots and took me to Bullocks Patch. One thing I hadn't shown before - I designed the mast to have a halliard point for a pennant or anchor ball. Worked well.


The Harley 25 has a very stable hull at anchor, much better than the Trophy on a beam wind as we had on Saturday. Actually it was very comfortable, great for having a brew in the galley, and washing up after too! After a pollack, some nice smoothhound and numerous pouting, it looked like the bream weren't playing so I headed back to Hayling Bay. First drop, a bream. second drop, a smoothhound, then nothing so I headed in just before the gate closed. I still haven't got used to the handling so I made another mess of getting into the finger berth, but not as badly as before so at least there is some improvement

No comments:

Post a Comment