Sunday 29 June 2014

Rebel Runner is a Ship, and a quieter one too.

A couple of things to report. Firstly, Rebel Runner is officially a ship! The certificate from the Register of British Ships Part III arrived today, not much - just a laminated A6 card - but she has a number and I will have to get it made up to stick on the side.

The other bit of progress was completing the new gutter on the old engine casing. The previous one was placed under the hinge crack to prevent water dripping onto the engine which worked fine until you opened the lid, when all the water ran onto the engine because the gutter was not wide enough. I cut the old one off and found it was just a piece of poly pipe laminated over. With much advice from Garry I used an old bed slat as a mould and laminated three layers of mat onto it. After it cured I popped it out, trimmed it up and bonded it in place with paste. I then put another three layers on. Trimmed again, filled various gaps and flo coated over. I also filled surplus screw holes and gel coat chips while I was about it. Sounds very cool and easy? No so. Garry will know, he had loads of texts and questions including when the parcel tape used to release the mould went all wrinkly and the result was a mess which needed much filling and sanding. Garry would have done it in minutes, I took half a day plus several evenings but here is the result.


I took the engine casing back to the boat on Sunday, and trial fitted. As suspected, the extra layers of mat did make it jam when I tried to slot it in but a bit of grinding out fixed it. All polished:





Next job was to fit the soundproofing mat I had bought on a special offer way back. One and a half sheets did the lid, and the three sides consumed most of two more. I finished the edges off with metal tape. You are supposed to use it for joining two sheets but I had plenty and it finished it off rather well.



The engine started first turn as usual, it is still a growler but what do you expect for 260HP. I have done all I could. I took Rebel Runner out for a quick spin round the harbour entrance but no mackerel were evident so still no fish guts on that deck I'm afraid. Final job was to rub down and polish some gel coat patches on the roof then she was all tucked up ready for next time.

P.S.

This is what it looked like when I bought it.













No comments:

Post a Comment