Sunday 21 September 2014

Fishing - or I could call it testing

Last weekend I managed to get half the hatch drain plumbed in, but I will have to remove the batteries to get at the other side and involves removing an unnecessarily large battery retainer just to get them out. This weekend's weather was too good to miss so that job can wait. I took Rebel Runner out fishing and here is proof that there is fish slime on that deck:


Some observations on recent additions: the new through-hull transducer was excellent, it held a strong bottom signal at all speeds. Or it did after I realised I had set it to a max depth of 10 feet and forgot to reset it to Auto, resulting in a long period of blank screen. The Garmin 551 Downvu works well, although the Flag Theofano wreck is still a lump. I will have to find something more interesting to look at. Finally, the outdrive leg trim sensor is now all wired up so I played with the trim. Unlike my previous deep vee hull, the higher the trim the worse the performance. Trimmed to midway, it wouldn't go faster than 13.6 knots. Trimmed nose down it immediately flew to 20 knots which is dramatic. I have been looking at Bennet trim tabs to help adjust the list to port at full throttle. They may also help fine-tune the bow attitude. I think I will fit those next lift-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment