Sunday 18 May 2014

First trip after the re-fit

Today was sea trials day, but I had a couple of jobs to do first. I must like fitting out boats so much I do jobs twice. This one was refitting the table, as first time round it was a bit bendy so it was taken back to my workshop for some beefing up. That was successfully refitted. I also finished the galley cupboard with the last bit of ply painted and in place. I had a few minutes left before the marina gate opened so I cut some anti slip matting to fit the table and various other places. This shot of the helm also shows the teak boss I made for the wheel, and the Garmin Downvu in place.


It was time for sea. I started the engine, and moved out to the fuel berth to take on 160 litres. I was very relieved to see that the Webasco fuel pipe hole I had cut did not leak a drop. I headed out for a bit of fishing, the weather was perfect, plenty of sun and a gentle breeze. There were also a few ships about so I could try going through their wash. Nothing broke! Steady as a rock. The water was still a bit coloured so I wasn't too hopeful. However, the first spot produced smoothhound and pouting. It went quiet so I moved to another mark, partly to get used to the Alderney method with a different boat. Here is a photo for Garry, the bowsprit behaved perfectly. One thing I did notice is the gap in the rail over the bowsprit is exactly me-sized so I shall have to watch I don't take a dive when detaching the ring. I did have a worrying moment though, the engine wouldn't start! I tracked it down to a stuck stop solenoid which had not slackened off, a quick prod and we were back in business.



Here are the Railblaizas at work




and me watching them. By the way I treated myself to a new Spinlock life jacket, very comfortable and an excellent spec.



The table makes an excellent rig station.


Before long I had to head back in because I had a date. My wife brought food down so we could have a first meal on board. What a star!




It was a perfect evening, warm and still and after the meal we had coffee in the cockpit watching the mullet, including a monster. All that work finally seemed worth it.

Now for Phase 2

No comments:

Post a Comment